C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:52:06 -0800
7bit
From:
Ok, as the ahem, token TAB non-parent participant I do have say this.  Most
people just don't know what to say to ya'll.  The wheelchair becomes
something to talk about.  I think it's silly, usually a look in the eye, a
gesture etc works pretty well.  Or most people's limited exposure to the
disable constitues either the heroic against all odds, the "jerry's kid"
poor baby approach, the savant on tv type.  They don't really get to see
real people doing real things,  day to day stuff hanging with the buds,
cranking the muscles to get out of bed.  Frankly you all scare a lot of
folks because you are right to them, to be dependent, to be different is a
death sentence, it's all they can see the end to life as they know it.  I
know I've been out with children and others and have had complete strangers
come up and ask what was wrong with the person.  I usually tell them
nothing.  And then they usually say you know what I mean.  And in my truly
fiesty modds I look 'em straight in the eye and say nope.
But, I do refuse to defend the truly ignorant, the truly patronizing idiots

Beth the OT

email address: [log in to unmask]