C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bob Hester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:19:54 -0600
Bobby:

Interestingly, I didn't realize he had a doctorate.   He was a good man, &
definitely an advocate.  He was a good example by functioning in a 'normal'
society.   I will remember his CP sense of humor (telling a waitress who
was clumsy & spilled something at his table that what he had really wasn't
contagious;  an involved story about 3 minority deceased having to pass
tests to enter Heaven, the first two being given very simple questions, &
the speech-impaired CP being told to say & spell "chrysanthemum" ).   To me
he has for over 25 years been "Mr. Texas CP".   I admired Tom (& there are
not many people I know whom I actually admire).

 From what his wife said, Tom had some kind of progressive spinal bone spur
problem which ended with him being essentially a quad for about the past
two years, surgery removed spurs but they would return/regrow.  He had been
in a nursing home, apparently requiring much moire physical attention
(lifting, moving, etc.) than his wife could give him.   If I understood his
wife correctly, Tom developed a blood clot in his lung which restricted
oxygen absorption, & was in distress the last week.   It appears that (as
is so often the case) that his death was a relief.  He was 68 years old.

His wife had 2 or 3 sons from a prior marriage, & she & Tom raised
them.   One was senselessly killed in a robbery many years ago;  one killer
got life, the other was executed in the '80s.        As we get older ......
BOB