From:
attanash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:39:04 -0000

Good news for anyone concerned about liver enzymes!  Consensus seems to
be that elevated liver enzymes just come along with having celiac.  The
levels will normalize slowly, probably within a year of being gf.

.........summary ............

It is very common for liver tests to be elevated due to celiac disease.
Mine were, and the doctors just kept acting puzzled by it. Then I talked
to other celiacs and read literature....... it was all there explaining
that it affects the enzymes. After you have been on the gf diet for at
least a year, so much will start normalizing. It doesn't happen
immediately.

The doctor said that there just isn't enough research on this but that
it is common in Celiacs.

SAM-e ...the best thing around right now for three things: simple
depression (never for bi polar), osteoarthritis, and the liver. Might be
worth checking out if there's anything at all off kilter in that region.
My doc put me on it for arthritis and it really works.

Recently my liver enzymes were very elevated--alt was one of them. This
seemed to worry my GP a lot and she sent me to a gastro doctor. Both of
them seemed to think that I probably had a gallstone stuck in a tube. To
make a long story shorter, after I passed these stones, and I know
that's what they were, my enzyme level went fairly rapidly back to
normal. Anyway, you might be interested in looking up on the net about
flushes and cleanses.

You probably are consuming too much protein, phospherous, what is your
AST ( a liver test also) get into the internet and locate a diet of
liver problems, I was there but my liver is healed

My guess is that it is not all that unusual.  My further guess (and
these are guesses) is that if we inadvertantly ingest gluten our livers
aren't happy about it.

He told me that celiac disease can sometimes cause elevated liver
enzymes, but he ordered a liver biopsy just to rule out the other "bad"
stuff.  The liver biopsy came out normal.  I've now been gluten free for
about 5 months.  The liver panel were redrawn two weeks ago, and are
less elevated now than then.  Once the gluten is removed and the
intestine starts to heal, my guess is that the liver enzymes will
normalize over time.  Stay on top of it for sure.  But don't let
yourself become overly concerned over something that is probably merely
an additional artifact of your celiac disease.