From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:12:27 EST

I wrote a note to my Blue Cross - Blue Shield group.  My intent in the letter
was to familiarize them with CD and to indicate to them the money saving
advantages to the health care system (as well as quality of life for the
patient) if CD was discovered earlier.  I told them about the high incident
of CD and the diverse symptoms, not generally thought of as CD related by the
medical profession.  I did not suggest testing everyone for CD nor did I say
that doctors were restricted from testing when it was appropriate.  I was
distressed to get back a response that seemed to indicate that the letter was
either glanced over and not read or was completely misunderstood.  Here is
the response.  I notice that it was not signed. I guess there is a lot more
educating to be done.  Carol in NJ

physician from testing a member for celiac disease. This is up to the
physician to determine when to test for the disease. With it's low
incidence there is no reason to require all of our members to be tested for
this condition. The symptoms are classical and doctors will test according
to the history and physical exam of the patient.

For more efficient and timely service I recommend that you contact your
dedicated  Member Services team at the toll-free number on the back of your
ID Card for the answers to your questions.

Stay Well!