From:
Karen Rangel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 16:22:46 -0500

Here is a summary of responses to substitutes for eggs. Thanks for all the
suggestions. It's nice to know we are not the only ones with egg problems.
Many people said to use egg beaters or the liquid substitute in the grocery
store, but those are made out of eggs, which we are allergic to.

1.Egg Replacer PLUS 3 tablespoons liquid gelatin for every egg called for

2. try adding 2 tablespoons of lecithin granules for every 3 cups
gluten-free flour mix.  This will also add to fluffiness

3. Read Carol Fenster's book Special Diet Solutions - highly recommended by
many people

4. I use the egg replacer but i always put in a little extra baking soda and
baking powder.

5. Check out this web site - http://www.GFrecipes.com/eggrepl.txt

6. eggs are a liquid and if you omit them, you must substitute with equal
liquid of something else.  Eggs also add softness (yolk) and air bubbles
(whites), not to mention proteins, etc.  If you don't mind the extra fat, I
would substitute some oil for the yolks and some shortening (Crisco) for the
whites.  Once you do this, I would substitute a liquid for the remainder.
For example, 2 eggs equals about 1/2 cup liquid, substitute 2 tablespoons
oil, 2 tablespoons Crisco, and 1/4 cup other tasty liquid.  Alternatively,
you could substitute a little oil that has been whipped in the blender and a
little extra liquid.