From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 21:33:55 -0800

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for all the replies regarding my mum's swollen feet. Here they are:

One of the B vitamins is a natural diuretic and I can't remember which.
However, I take two hundred MG. of B complex everyday because it is good
for me but also because it controls swelling in my feet and ankles. If she
has celiac disease, she is probably deficient in the B vitamins and they
are VERY important.

Make sure she sleeps with her feet elevated above the level of her
head. Being propped up 'fore as well as aft is helpful too.
I used to have that kind of problem, but now, at a heavenly Age 77, I
don't any longer.

i would check out her kidneys. normally when they are not passing enough
fluids themselves you retain fluids and can swell.. just a thought and not
to scare you!

The first thing that came to mind about your moms feet is a high potency
B-complex which in turn will help her heart! Good luck!

my mother in law had to adhere to a strict low sodium diet and she also
used those very hard to put on tight stockings to keep the swelling
down. Elevating the feet helps with the return circulation. If the
swelling is severe you may want to get input from the regular dr - you
can then decide whether or not to follow that path.

Have a blood test done on your mother for liver and kidney function.
Swollen feet are indicative of not only heart function but the above. I know
since it happened to me.

You should take her to a podiatrist. He/she should get a doppler test
done to check circulation....you have to have a complete picture.
Elevating her feet as much as possible will help as will compression stockings.
Also remember that most Vit E comes from wheat...must be very careful.

Swollen feet may be a result of a potassium deficiency. In addition to a
potassium supplement, your mum should eat a banana and/or potato each day.
There are blood and urine tests which can show a decrease in function for the
kidneys and liver. I am also a patient of lyme disease and have been
complaining of edema for almost a year now. The rheumotologist saw the
pitting edema and took some blood and the creatine levels came back high.
He then ordered a 24 hr urine and unfortunately because of a mixup when I did
it, they didn't take another blood at the same time. So I have to redo
it. If the kidneys aren't filtering properly, I do know they have to be
careful of drug effects on the kidney and curtail or change which drugs a
person takes. I also know if this problem exists you have to tell them
before cat scans are done or whenever they use certain dyes in testing. There
may even be a change in diet necessary.
When I see him again he is also ordering additional tests. I don't know if
any of this will help you but my frustration has been high because when I
look down, I see my grandmothers swollen legs! And until now no response
from the physicians except check for lung, liver or kidney function! (They
probably check bilirubin for liver function among other things!) I will
definitely get more answers on Thursday when I see the endocrinologist and
get more feedback.....I am also taking prednisone which effects the adrenals
which sit on the kidneys. This is why I see him.
I know this isn't too much to go on for now, but I will send more info as I
get it.

I have CD and DH. My ankles and legs have
been swollen for sometime. Last month my
regular dermatologist sent me to another
dermatologist who is a professor at
in St. Louis. This doctor prescribed Dyazide
Capsules to reduce water retention. He also
prescribed Jobst compression stockings to
help blood circulation.
This has really helped me.

Frequent periods of rest with feet elevated should help. The "seizure"
may have somehow impaired motor nerves in the legs which, in addition to
working the operating muscles, also activate muscles that "pulse" the
veins that return circulation. I learned about this from the unrelated
condition of post-polio syndrome. My basic circulation (foot pulse from
heart beat) was good, but my feet still swelled up.
This or other explanations, as well as her heart health, possible diabetic
complications, and basic circulation should be checked out with her MDs.

The Tylenol 3 she is taking for pain also causes the kidney dysfunction and
swelling. I did a search on 'tylenol and kidneys' and was able to find a
number of interesting articles.

I appreciate your help very much.

All the best,
Susan