From:
E. A. Rohrbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:56:14 -0500

Got this a few weeks ago and skipped reading it! Thought you might like to see
it. What a great grocery store this is... Beth

=== Original Message From Wegmans <[log in to unmask]> ===

November 28, 2000

Your Fresh Food News This Week

NATURAL AND ORGANIC NEWS - Enjoying the Holidays Despite Allergies
and Intolerances (part 1)

The holidays are upon us, and if visions of sugarplums are dancing
in your head, it's time to roll up your sleeves for some holiday
baking.  But a food allergy, celiac disease or lactose intolerance
can flatten your creative flair.  How can you make Aunt Mary's
Old Fashioned Christmas cookies without wheat flour, milk or
eggs?

Nature's Marketplace has the answer in the form of natural baking
alternatives!  This edition provides helpful substitutes for
flours and grains. Kamut, spelt, rye (has distinct flavor),
barley (light in color and good for baking) and oat (sweet and
moist, but can be sticky) flours contain gluten, but may be used
for those with wheat allergies.

Millet and rice flours are generally regarded as gluten-free
and are easily digested, though they can be a bit grainy and will
require a binder such as egg or egg substitute.  Teff is a very
nutritious grain that is relatively expensive and has a dark,
heavy characteristic. Amaranth is also very nutritious and
versatile, but can develop a strong taste.

All of these flours are available in Wegmans Nature's Marketplace.
We have a complete line of gluten-free and wheat-free foods and
baking supplies.  Ask your Nature's Marketplace manager for
specific baking advice.

Look for egg and dairy replacements next week!

Jean Bauch, RD, CDE
Diabetes and Nutrition Educator
Wegmans Consumer Affairs

Diane Ditucci
Nature's Marketplace Coordinator

HEALTH AND NUTRITION NEWS - Cider is Hot!

The juice from apples was once thought to be little more than
sugar water.  After all, it lacks the vitamin C, folic acid and
potassium of OJ; it doesn't have the urinary tract protection
provided by cranberry juice; nor the deep rich color, and
potential heart benefits, of purple grape juice.  We thought
the cholesterol lowering power in apples was from pectin, a
soluble fiber found in the pulp, not the juice.

Researchers at the University of California at Davis have given
us reason to rethink our ideas about the health value of apple
cider/juice.  They've shown that apple juice can reduce the
oxidation of LDL (think lousy) blood cholesterol into its artery
clogging form.  This research was in the test tube - not yet
confirmed by tests in people.  They suspect apple juice gets
its cholesterol-attacking ability from its high concentration
of phenols, plant-based compounds that are present in apples as
well as other plant foods.

If the cold weather is getting to you, warm up with our Hot Apple
Cider.

To view the recipe, click here or copy and paste this link into your
browser: http://p0.com/t.d?KkAz7ojx=https://my.wegmans.com/recipes/
default.asp_0recipe=784

Jane Andrews, M.S., R.D.

Corporate Nutritionist
Wegmans Food Markets

WEEKLY RECIPE - A Versatile Entertaining Solution

A great addition to any holiday meal is our Stuffed Portabello
Mushrooms.   As a delightful appetizer or an elegant meatless
entree, you and your guests will be enjoying incredible flavor
with a festive flair!

To view the recipe, click here or copy and paste this link
into your browser:
http://p0.com/t.d?LEAz7ojx=https://my.wegmans.com/recipes/default.
asp_0recipe=779

SPECIAL DELIVERY INSTANT ALERTS - Looking for Creative Cooking
Ideas?

Then you've come to the right place.  Next week, our second
Cooks' Club E-Newsletter will be delivered featuring Chef Don
Woods' creation, Baby Pumpkin Salad - - a salad like none
you've seen!   If you're a culinary enthusiast, and haven't
signed up to receive the Cooks' Club E-Newsletter, just go
to My Fresh News and select Cooks' Club as an email
preference.  It's that easy!

To go to My Fresh News, click here or copy and paste this link into your
browser: http://p0.com/t.d?QEAz7ojx=https://my.wegmans.com/ephp/prefs/
freshnews.asp