From:
Maggie Jewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:29:07 -0400

Well, I got 60 responses to my question about which brand of vitamins people
are taking.  Thanks everyone!  There is a large variety and the most popular
brand is Nature Made.  I personally took GNC with no problems; but then I
noticed that they include herbs, which I don't want.  Here is the tally and
a few comments:

Nature Made                  15
Twin Labs                     7
Solgar                        7
Vitamin Shoppe                4
Vitamin World                 3
Thompson                      3
Centrum                       3
Schiff                        2
Weider (Wal-Mart)             2
GNC                           2
Theragran M                   2
Tyler                         1
Costco (most)                 1
Sundown Rexall                1
Mason Little Animals (kids)   1
Centrum Silver                1
Nature's Own                  1
Soloray                       1
Oscal                         1
Flinstones Chewables          1
Freeda                        1
Country Life                  1
Love Bites for Kids           1
Nature's Bounty               1
Nature's Way                  1
Amway                         1
One a Day for Women           1
Juice Plus                    1
Amni                          1
Spring Valley                 1
Herbalife                     1

"Centrum Silver.  As far as I know, that's been gluten free for quite some
time now."

"Nature Made state on the bottle that it is GF."

"I take Vitamin Shoppe brand. There are a lot of them that say on the
label, no gluten. www.vitaminshoppe.com  I also take certain Twin Lab
vitamins. I called to verify what I take."

"I get all my GF vitamins from the Vitamin Shoppe.  You can order from
them on the web or by phone, or fax.  The order taker will tell you if
they're GF if you ask.

I've been ordering from them for several years and I'm pleased with the
service.

"I use only Nature Made brand supplements.  The bottles of everything I use
state "No Artificial Colors  - No Artificial Flavors - No Preservatives - No
Chemical Solvents, Yeast, Starch or Gluten."  Even then I called to make
sure they understood what Gluten was to a Celiac and the rep I spoke to said
that they get calls alot about the Gluten content.  I can find these
products in just about any grocery or drug store here in California.  I've
never had a problem taking any of these products."

"I have been really satisfied with the vitaminshoppe (www.vitaminshoppe.com).
They have a great selection, 30%-40% off normal prices, and have ingredients
listed for each offering on their website.  They even list if the vitamin or
supplement is wheat, lactose, gluten, free.  I have used their customer hot
line for several questions and they have been congenial and quite
professional.  They deliver very quickly and charge $5 for shipping on all
orders.  In addition, they describe how to take particular vitamins, and
what certain deficiencies really mean and how they should be treated.  They
also send free catalogs but their website is pretty well organized with the
opportunity to search their database for particular vitamins or ailments."