From:
Melissa Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:20:43 EST

Hi listmates--

Wow!!  I had over 28 responses!  I was originally wondering if Breakstones
sour cream was gluten free.  It was on the Kraft Gluten-free List, but I had
seen it on the Celiac Disease On-line Support Group's No Longer Gluten-free
list.  I have had 2 calls from Kraft foods in the last 2 days.  They have
GUARANTEED it is gluten-free.

I also heard from Hood.  They wrote:

"Yes, our sour cream, cottage cheese, milk and EggNog is gluten free,
however, we cannot say that for our ice cream products and novelties".

I also heard from Friendship Dairies.  They said:

"Thank you for your e-mail and interest in Friendship.

All Friendship products are gluten free with the exception of our Flavored
Sour Creams (Fresh Salsa, Roasted Garlic and Toasted Onion).  Our regular
Sour Cream is safe to eat if you have Gluten intolerance.

We so consider our customers our greatest asset and hope that you will
continue to use and enjoy Friendship products."

Sincerely,
Margaret McLaughlin
Asst. Marketing Manager

The other responses I received were:

Organic Valley--1
Bluebunny--1
Breakstones--3
Daisy--4
Cabot-5 (www.cabotcheese.com)
Hood--1 (www.hoodanswermom.com)
Friendship--1 (www.friendshipdairies.com)
Great Value (Wal-Mart)--1
Kroger's--1
Lucerne--1
Astro--1

One person also mentioned that non-fat yogurt makes a good substitute for
either sour cream or buttermilk in recipes and is great on a baked potato.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Happy Holidays!!

Melissa in CT