From:
Sylvia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:44:01 +1100

Dear Listmates,

I have been away on a course and am only just catching up on my e-mail.  I
have been reading with interest the discussion on the Catholic Church and
communion hosts.

Here in Gladstone, Queensland, Australia - Diocese of Rockhampton - Bishop
Brian Heenan, and Archdiocese of Brisbane - we have absolutely no problem at
all.

When Alana was diagnosed as gluten intolerant, I went straight to the parish
office and asked where I could get gluten free hosts for her.  They
immediately gave me a small supply and a pick (special container) for her to
keep it in, and gave me the address of the Celiac Support Group in Brisbane
to get her own supply.

When we go to Mass, she (and several others) place their picks on the
communion salver that is used for the offertory, and they are taken up and
blessed at the Eucharist and they are then given the host out of their own
pick at Holy Communion.

So, I would suggest that this is not a doctrine of the Catholic Church but
of the individual Archdiocese.

Regards,
Sylvia