From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 02:08:58 -0800
On 30 Dec 00, at 11:22, Victor Gobert wrote:

> Sorry for my english

  I'll try to figure it out as we go.

> In normal use
> desktop with Duron 650 ,128 Ma ram
> notebook Toshiba
> desktop and notebook are linked together and works alright
> If i disconnect the cable from the desktop(Fast ethernet adaptor )

  Okay, you have two computers, linked by some kind of cable.

 ---     ---
| A |---| B |
 ---     ---

  One of the computers has a Fast Ethernet (100-BaseTX, presumably)
adapter in it.  For now, I'll assume that this adapter is where the
cable joining the machines plugs in.
  So this cable should have RJ-45 modular plugs on each end, and to
provide a working connection between the machines, it should be a
"cross-over" cable.  When you hold up the two ends together, the
pattern of coloured wires inside the clear plastic connector is not
the same at both ends.  (It would be the same on a "normal" cable.)
Hopefully, this is a "Category 5 UTP" cable, containing 4 pairs (8
total) wires -- there are other possibilities, but I don't recommend
them.

> If i disconnect the cable from the desktop(Fast ethernet adaptor )I have no
> more contact with my internet provider ,my modem is not rocognised

  Internet provider?  Modem?
  These are not in the picture above.  We need a bunch more
information about what "works alright" means.  What kind of modem do
you use, and how/where is it connected?  Do you use it to connect to
your ISP, or something else (cable, DSL, carrier pigeon)?

> When i put it back and disconnect the cable from the notebook(PMCIA card)
> everything comes back to normal

  "everything comes back to normal"?  Does "normal" include your
machines being able to communicate with each other?  Do they have
some other way of doing that without this cable?
  You've specified a PCMCIA card.  Is this an Ethernet-only card, or
and Ethernet-and-modem combo card?  Is it a PCMCIA card, or is it
really a PC-Card card?  [PCMCIA cards fit into PC-Card slots, but
don't have the bandwidth to do Fast Ethernet and so only do 10-BaseT
Ethernet.]

> I tried to connect a second desktop with a 4 Hub and i have the
> same problem

 ---     -----     ---
| A |---| hub |---| B |
 ---     -----     ---

          ---
         | C |
          ---

  Note that this setup calls for three "normal" network cables.  The
cross-over cable you have been using will not work as a substitute
for any of them.
  That *may* explain why you were unable to get this to work, but
doesn't solve the original problem which I still don't understand.

> I need help
> Thanks from a frenchman

  Please supply more information, and/or correct anywhere where I've
misunderstood what you meant.

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>