From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 03:15:16 -0800
On 3 Dec 00, at 15:57, Michael A. Wosnick wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Here is my situation: I have a Win 98 desktop PC and a Win98SE laptop
> currently on a Linksys 5 port Ethernet 10/100 hub (not router). My cable
> modem is plugged into the hub, and I have 2 IP addresses from my cable modem
> service. I went the two IP route since my wife's employer is paying for one
> of them, and since both she and I need to access our workplaces via VPN's so
> I did not want to risk going with a router or with Win98 ICS for fear of
> mucking up our VPN
> accesses.
>
> I also am contemplating linking my kids 2 computers together via a HPNA
> telephone based network so they can share files and a printer on a different
> floor.
>
> Question. How can I also link my desktop computer to this phone based HPNA
> network so that my kids can share the cable modem as well. I would not want
> to disturb my wife's separate IP, so I would want them to share only the 2nd
> IP that I have. This would mean that my desktop computer would be in two
> separate networks, an Ethernet based network with my wife's laptop, and a
> HPNA-based network with my two kids' computers. Obviously I need an HPNA NIC
> in my desktop as well as my current Ethernet 10/100 card, but what else do I
> need to know. What sort of interference, if any will I get because my
> desktop PC is part of two separate networks. Can I pull this off?
>
> All help gratefully appreciated.
>
> Michael

  This is supported much more robustly in NT/2000 than in 9x/ME.  If
you are running NT, this is pretty straightforward; you will have two
NICs with separate addresses (on separate subnets), and in fact your
machine can become a router linking the two nets by checking the box
on the "IP Forwarding" tab in the TCP/IP properties.  [This will
allow the kids to connect to your wife's PC.  To connect them to the
Internet, you'll need to be doing NAT somewhere -- perhaps it's a
feature that can be enabled on the cable modem, or perhaps you'll
have to run third-party software on your machine *instead of* NT's
routing capability.  WinGate is perhaps the best-known such product,
although there are half a dozen other decent products on the market.

David G