From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:28:52 -0500
At 11/2/00 08:53 AM, Hitesh Bhatia wrote:

>I have a problem in the pc.
>I have a win 95. As the windows starts i get an error
>message
>
>" mdm.exe file is linked to missing export ole32.dll :
>colmpersonate client."
>
>both mdm.exe and ole32.dll are their in the c:/windows
>directory.
>Help me out and please solve this problem as soon as possible.

You can stop the MDM.exe program from trying to load at startup which will
fix then problem. If you fix it so that it runs you will probably also
getting a lot of files that start with "fff".  The root problem is that you
are missing the ole32.dll from your windows/system subdirectory which
mdm.exe needs to function.

The following is from MS Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q221/4/38.asp

When you install the Microsoft Script Editor, a program called Mdm.exe
(Machine Debug Manager, which is used to provide application debugging) is
also installed. Mdm.exe creates these [fff....tmp] files in your Windows
folder.

WORKAROUND

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and
Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete
Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in
Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.
If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your
Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

To work around this issue, remove Mdm.exe to be started as a service on
Window 95 and Windows 98 platforms. To do this, remove Mdm.exe from the
list under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

After all running instances of Mdm.exe are ended and no longer listed
within Task Manager, you can delete any of the TMP files from the root of
the Windows directory without affecting either the Microsoft Script Editor
or Mdm.exe. The effect of taking this step is that remote debugging is
disabled, provided that an instance of Mdm.exe is not started at the time
an error is encountered. However, if another application reinstalls
Mdm.exe, or if Mdm.exe /Regserver is run on a computer that is running
Window 95 or Windows 98, Mdm.exe is re-added to the RunServices registry
key (see above for full path).

NOTE: Running the Detect and Repair feature within Office 2000 causes
Mdm.exe to be re-registered on the system.

Additionally, if the system has Internet Explorer version 5 or later,
Mdm.exe can still be configured to start at the startup of Window 95 or
Windows 98, if the script debugging feature in Internet Explorer is turned
on. You can turn off this feature within Internet Explorer. On the Tools
menu, click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab under Setting, make sure
that Disable script debugging is selected.
MORE INFORMATION
When Mdm.exe is registered on the Windows 95 or Windows 98 platform, the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
registry key is modified to include Mdm.exe to start as a "service".

Windows 95 or Windows 98 starts each application listed under this key when
Windows starts. This is done because DCOM on Windows 95 and Windows 98 does
not support remote starting of DCOM components, which include Mdm.exe,
although the implementation of DCOM on the Windows 95 or Windows 98
platform does permit connections to running objects. Therefore, upon
installation, Mdm.exe registers itself to start each time Windows is
started to enable the option of remote debugging with Mdm.exe.

Due to the way DCOM is implemented on the Windows 95 and Windows 98
platforms, Mdm.exe creates temporary files in the Windows folder that DCOM
uses for access and decline of user rights to the DCOM component.
Typically, DCOM calls Mdm.exe for startup as a proxy for another
application that requires debugging support. Upon the shutdown of this
application, a call is made through DCOM to shut down the registered DCOM
server and, on Windows 95 or Windows 98, clean up any temporary files
created by Mdm.exe. Because Windows 95 or Windows 98 is starting Mdm.exe
directly as a program and not as a DCOM server, no registration is
performed in DCOM. Therefore, on the shutdown of Windows 95 or Windows 98,
DCOM is not aware that the Mdm.exe program needs to be shut down and the
TMP files created are in need of clean up. Because DCOM does not perform
cleanup, the temporary files remain after shutdown, and Mdm.exe creates a
new set of TMP files every time Windows 95 or Windows 98 is restarted.

Hope this helps....

Doug

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html