From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 22:29:22 -0500
At 20:54 11/06/00, Bill Nussbaumer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I have an @home cable modem with two computers. I pay an extra
>$7/month to get two ip addresses, one for each system. Using winipcfg
>I confirm that the ethernet adapters each have a different ip address.
>The systems are both plugged into a Lynksys 5 port workgroup hub.
>When I turn on either computer my connection to the Internet works
>just fine. But as soon as I turn on the other system, the newly
>booted system seems to knock the other system off-line. (No e-mail
>or Internet access).
>The internal network is working fine. Both computers see each other
>and can share files. Any ideas of what might be going on here.
>Using TCP/IP and Netbui protocols.

Hi Bill

You're the third PCBUILD person whom I recall having this problem
in the last two months. In each of the other two cases the problem
came down to the cable provider not having enabled the user's modem
to allow two IP addresses to access the Internet simultaneously...
even though the two people were paying for two IP addresses.

For example, on 11 Oct 00, Michael A. Wosnick <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

 > I have a Linksys 5 port EtherFast HUB (not router), a desktop PC
 > and a notebook. My modem is a Motorola CyberSurfer on the @home
 > system.
 >
 > I went the two IP route, and I purchased a second IP from @home.
 > When I do a winipcfg, each computer shows up with its unique
 > host name, and different IP addresses, so the 2 computers are
 > being seen by @home as distinct entities.
 >
 > If I fire up the desktop, everything works fine. Internet is OK.
 > VPN to my workplace is OK. However, the laptop cannot access the
 > internet.
 >
 > If I reverse the process, i.e. fire up the laptop, it accesses the
 > internet just fine... Then the desktop PC is unable to access the
 > internet....

Finally, after an interesting exchange of messages, on 16 Oct 00
Michael Wosnick wrote:

 > It turns out that it was indeed my cable provider all along. Although
 > they said I was set up for 2 IPs, they lied :-). Seems there was some
 > obscure setting that wasn't set (at their end...), and lo and behold
 > no matter what I did, my two computers were sharing 1 IP.
 >
 > It took several phone calls and getting past the disclaimer "We don't
 > support networks". Yeah, I know, but I wasn't asking for support on my
 > network, I was asking for support on configuring the 2nd IP that you
 > were happily taking my money for :-)
 >
 > Anyway, all is working fine now. Thanks again to all.

My advice is to talk more with @home. Be firm with them!

Regards,
Bill

                     visit our download web page at: