From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 19:15:31 -0800
Hi,
this is a common failure, not for just your model but others. The only
difference is it usually takes out the ac adapter/charger on other
brands. Chances are you've done the same thing we all have; plug in
your adapter before your computer. Or leave your adapter plugged in
without the laptop & then connect it later. In any case, this is a
guaranteed way to surge the dc to dc converter in your laptop, which is
the charging circuit for your battery.

I'm fairly sure IBM offers a external charger now for that model. The
external charger should work independent of the dc to dc converter and
solve your problem. Otherwise, you'll need to have your laptop
inspected to verify if the dc to dc converter is in fact bad.

good luck
-yui

--- Mwelwa Mofya <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad 560. It works alright but the battery has
> stopped
> charging so I have to connect it to a power outlet every time I need
> to use
> it.I thought the battery had just worked for too long and was no good
> so I
> bought a new one. This didn't help at all. The problem persists and I
> do not
> know what the cause is or what to do about it. Everything  else is
> working
> fine and the wiring looks intact to me. Does anyone know what the
> problem
> could be and how I can fix it?
> Thanks
> M. MOFYA