From:
Carl Barnhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:22:28 EDT
The simple solution is obviously to connect your Maxtor as the Master and
take out the other hard drive completely until you have installed the OS on
the Maxtor. This way you eliminate the possibility of installing an OS to any
drive but the Maxtor. Then once you have the OS installed on the Maxtor,
reconnect the other Hard drive as the master, and the Maxtor as the slave..
This is a roundabout way of doing it but I have no knowledge on a better way
at the moment (because i've never tried it)and figure if your in a hurry to
get it done thats always an option..

Carl Barnhart

In a message dated 10/24/00 7:08:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Hello All,
> I have a Dell system, P3, 128Ram, 27G IBM ATA Ultra 66 HD( 1 partition).
> I recently purchased an additional HD 20G Maxtor ATA Ultra100 and installed
> it as a slave to the IBM.  I intended to install Windows 98 on one and
> Windows Me
> on the other.  I used MaxBlast Plus to install (one) partition and format
> the Maxtor HD.  Comos indicated that everything is installed correctly.  My
> problem,
> I am unable to install an os on the Maxtor.  Every time I try to install an
> os
> it installs to the primary drive.  I reformatted the Maxtor drive with
> windows
> an used the D: /s command but it still installed to the primary drive.
> When I
> open the Maxtor drive in My Computer it contains two command folders.  I can
> backup to the drive and also drag program short cuts to it but am unable to
> install an os on it.  This is the first time that I have tried anything like
> this and my expertise is limited. Please someone, explain what I am doing
> wrong.
> Thanks,
> Ray williams

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: