From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:30:18 -0400
Yes, I would think so.  The two common types are EDO and fastpage(fp).
I have not seen a Pentium BIOS that permitted mixing the two, although I
had a couple 486 pc's that didn't mind.  486's had a narrower memory bus
and that may explain that.  I should mention two more considerations.
As a general rule, Pentium desktops all used non-parity simms.  Also,
chipsets as old as those used in Pentium 90 and Pentium 166 mhz systems
typically do not cache more than 64 megs of ram (two 32 meg 72 pin simms
installed as a pair, for example).  Because installing more than 64 meg
required disabling the external cache in the CMOS settings (pressing DEL
to enter setup during boot), together with the extra money necessary to
pay for the bigger ram, it is not advisable to increase the ram above 64
meg.  Better price / performance would probably be achieved by buying a
new computer.
By the way, I would consider Ebay.com for something like this.  Local
prices where I am for EDO ram are high enough so that a new pc makes
better sense.
Tom Turak