From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:16:48 -0700
Richard,

You did not mention anything about jumpers in your troubleshooting.  I know
for a fact the if a drive is not jumpered for the correct configuration it
"can" cause  the computer not to boot.  What's confusing is that some drives
will say no jumper required for a master with no slave, but it may not work
that way.  Specifically, I recently had a problem with a WD Caviar drive
that said it needed one jumper for a master with slave, but no jumper was
"required" for just a master.  However, without the jumper it took over two
minutes to detect the drive on post.

Alternatively, I tried to start a machine the other day when I had the drive
jumpered as master only, and I had a second drive on the same IDE channel.
The fan would come on, but nothing else.  As soon as I corrected the jumper
problem the computer booted without trouble.

Just a thought in case you hadn't checked this.

Kyle Elmblade