From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:31:05 -0700
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:01:33 -0500, Andy Fernandez <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Also, what kind of MUFA:SFA:PUFA ratio do you guys shoot for?

"Shooting for a ratio" is not part of the Paleo Diet.

The only principle is "eat anything you could eat in the wild when you were
naked and carrying only a sharp stick".

Seed oils certainly do not qualify - perhaps olive oil does, since squeezing an
olive will produce oil in a reasonable quantity.

Processed foods do not qualify.

While some Paleo Diet authors say that milk does not qualify as "paleo",
nevertheless it qualifies under the rule (if, for example, you killed a nursing
animal).   ( I hate when authors add things to their diet recommendations that
aren't part of the basic principle they are espousing - D'Adamo does a lot of
that, by the way.)

Processed milk does not qualify (unless you can make those dairy products with a
sharpened stick - which I guess you can do with butter - and if you "clarify"
the butter, then there are no foreign proteins, by the way).

>t seems to me that as a true paleo purist, one can only enjoy olive oil,
>coconut oil, the fat and oil that naturally occurs in nuts/seeds, lean meat
>(preferrably free-range) and fish.

There is nothing in the Paleo Diet that requires LEAN meat.  Paleo man ate most
of the organs of the animals they killed, which were very high in fat.  Any idea
that Paleo man's diet was "naturally low fat" is a myth.

>With as many restrictions as this diet entails, one of the potentially nice
>aspects might be the ability to indulge liberally in fat.  If I wanted to
>add to fats listed above, what would you counsel me to include or avoid?

Once you get beyond the principles of the Paleo Diet, then you simply will get
swallowed by the list members over their years spent immersed in popular culture
(a good example is your reference to "organic", an ideological term that has
little meaning in practical application).

--
Cheers,

Ken