From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 19:55:25 -0700
Hi Mary,

At 02:06 PM 05/15/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>wanted to report a problem and see if anyone has any advice for me-
>
>worked out with weights Friday, upper body (do this 3 x wk Mon, Wed, Fri)
>For the first time since I started weight training 6 months ago I had kind of
>an energy collapse. I completed my first set of overhead press and could not
>finish my next two sets. It felt like I was lifting twice as much weight as I
>actually was. I did complete the whole workout but it was limited in reps and
>sets. The next day I was sore. Should not have been.

        You are definitely overtraining. Try taking at least a week off and then
reduce your volume down to one set to failure. Train twice a week at the most.

>That day I did eat a little less than usual before the workout (worked out at
>4:00 pm)
>and did not eat as much protein. I ate half an apple at lunch (with other
>food-meat)which is a new item added to my diet as of late. I eat mainly meat
>and do take supplements. After the workout I felt weak and slightly nauseous.

        I generally eat about 400 grams of protein per day for two days following
a workout otherwise I experience some soreness. Of course body weight
should be a consideration, mine is 210lbs.

>I eat, generally, a low carb diet, less than 40 grams carb per day.
>I lift weights fairly intensely on the 3 upper body days. On Tues and Thurs I
>do lower body workout. All five days I train my abdomen. I work out on
>weekends sometimes but not always.

        You have no reason to train your abs everyday. I rarely train mine
directly as they receive more than adequate stimulation from compound
movements such as the deadlift and chins. I train once every 7-14 days. I
compete in powerlifting and this is all that it takes to train for a
contest. Intensity is the controlling factor for muscle growth stimulation
not volume or great frequency. I only do 3-4 exercises for one set each in
a workout so my workouts only last about 20 minutes once every 1-2 weeks.
On non-weight training days I might walk or occasionally do an intense hike.

>I figured I ran out of glycogen and my muscles just couldn't perform.
>What do you think?

        If you have been restricting your carb intake for any significant amount
of time your body should be efficient enough at using fat and protein that
this isn't a factor.

Dave