C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robin Frisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 07:45:03 EDT
Elizabeth,
Thank you for your good thoughts kind caring. Like you, I am moved beyond
words at how caring everyone has been, how strong this common bond is among
people who have never met each other. The support and understanding I have
received here is unequaled anywhere else.

We are still searching for answers for Zach, though this list has provided
many wonderful and viable leads. I have talked to Zach fairly extensively,
thank goodness it appears no one "hurt" him at high school, at least not
physically. Emotionally is another story. Talking with Zach about these
things opened very important and needed dialogue between us.

There is a neurologist testing him this week, his preliminary findings show a
marked discrepancy between the functioning of the right hemisphere of his
brain, vs his left. This is leading him to surmise that there is some
physiological reason for all this, possibly temporal lobe seizure activity,
as Yvonne so wisely suggested. (Yvonne, I have been meaning to write and
thank you, by night I have been so tired lately, so sorry)

The doctor promised me we should have some answers by next week, he said we
will indeed find the answer. IT seems that these kinds of seizures possibly
would not have shown up on the EEG Zach had, they are buried deeper within
the brain.

We shall see, in the meantime Zach told me that he was scared he had not
"done the EEG right" and that is why we have not found out what is wrong with
him. I was able to assure him that it was not that he had not done it right,
it may not have been the right test to find out what is happening with him.
The EEG he had involved him pushing buttons when he felt something happening,
he was afraid he had not pushed the buttons at the right time. Again, opening
discussion with him was so good, I had no idea he had thought he had not done
this correctly and was feeling responsible for this.

My heart is with each and every one of you, I am so grateful for all of you.
Thank you,
Robin