AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:18:55 -0500
Kelly et al,

I'm not sure of how widespread this trend is, but I do know that my
local library is switching from a Jave-based product to an HTML
product. Don't know if it's Web Pac/iPac - I'll have to look.

The reasons the staff gave included better download times and being
responsive to user complaints about having to download Java plug-ins.
In some places, there's also growing awareness of accessibility issues
and usability issues.

Regards,
Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Access for All

> Thought I'd share this here.  Anyone know the story behind this?  A
quick
> web search shows that this iPac seems to be pretty popular with
libraries.

> Kelly

System
> here
> > in Washington.
> >
> > The library catalog listed a new method of access called iPac and
> indicated
> > it was replacing a java-based version known as WebPAC.  I was never
> > successful at getting WebPAC to work in any fashion with a screen
reader.

> > Thankfully the library does offer a telnet version of the catalog
but it
> > does not offer all the same features as the web version.
> >

> > I thought I'd give this new iPac a test and what a nice surprise.
While
> it
> > isn't perfect, it is very functional with several screen readers.
The
> > interface uses a series of basic web pages with a relatively low
amount of
> > navigational clutter.  Edit boxes do not use labels but because of
page
> > layout the screen readers I tried (JAWS and Window-Eyes) are able
to give
> > indication of what to enter in most cases.
> >
> > Again iPac is not perfect but it is definitely a step in the right
> > direction.  Perhaps those in the know with respect to what's
happening in
> > libraries know if this is a common trend or not.  I did notice that
the
> > Seattle public library at http://www.spl.org also uses iPac.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kelly

> > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: webwatch-

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Audrey J. Gorman
Access for All
--