AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 11:09:56 -0500
Zambians split over woman leader
By Penny Dale
BBC, Lusaka

President Levy Mwanawasa has thrown down the gauntlet to the women of
Zambia.

He says when his time in office is up, he wants a woman to take over.

He boasts that his "new deal" government has made significant strides in
narrowing the gap between men and women in politics.

Certainly he cannot be faulted when it comes to giving out cabinet jobs.

Every female ruling party MP holds some sort of ministerial portfolio.

There is even a woman from the opposition in cabinet.

Capable women

But is Zambia's political playing field really as level as it needs to
be for the people of Zambia to vote in their first female president?

Chipo Lungu of the National Women's Lobby thinks not:

I think we should give a chance to a woman because the men that we've
had have not done anything
Zambian woman
"When you look at the whole picture since he came into power, he hasn't
really done anything which gives us hope that there'll be 50:50 any time
soon.

"We don't see a systematic policy. One women appointed here and that's
headline news. For us that's a drop in the ocean," she said.

"There are a lot of capable women who would do a commendable job as
president of this country but they have not been given a chance by the
system, by history, by culture."

Only two Zambian women, both in the 2001 elections, have ever stood for
president.

Between them they managed to pick up only a handful of the votes.

Tongues wagging

I went out on the streets of Lusaka to see whether people have changed
their mind about a female president:

"Why not? If that female president is really somebody who can deliver
and she is focussed to look at the needs of the Zambian people," said
one man.

"I think we should give a chance to a woman because the men that we've
had have not done anything, so maybe a woman would do something. We are
ready for a woman," a woman told me.

"I would not like a woman to be president of this country because most
ladies are not people to be leaders," another man said.

"It's very difficult for women to lead people, especially men."

"Maybe, because women are more honest than men."

Predictably, Mr Mwanawasa's statement has set the political tongues
wagging: the suspicion in Lusaka's polite society is that he wants his
wife, Maureen, to follow in his presidential footsteps.

Many people already believe that Maureen is the power behind the throne.
But what do ordinary Zambians think?

"After his term, he wants his wife to take over his position as
president. He's not being straightforward," a man said.

"I hope it's not his wife," said one woman.