AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alex Lagia Redd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 03:45:04 -0500
Patricia Berry----Greetings,

Thanks for bringing this up. Tommy Hilfiger is getting rich off his products at
the expense of both low-income and the elite class.

The fact of the matter is that the white dominant affluent class of America has
rhetorically and economically crafted the "system" to protect their interests
while repressing the mobility and assimilation of minorities. This is evidenced
in the present  wide disparities of income distribution because of capitalism.
An idealogy solely designed by idealogues and fanatics of capitalism, with the
intent to oppress the communities of color. In the case of Tommy Hilfiger, it
shouldn't be a surprise because he's all part of the conspiracy of the
Reaganomics. "The trigger-down effect"------the wealthy gets richer by building
large conglomerates at the expense of the disadvantaged (minorities).

Policy-makers continue to make unsuitable economic adjustments for their own
interest and protection, while they target people of color for
incarceration------statistics speak volumes.
Just a quick example, I stoppped eating at Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). Why?
Don't you know a pair of Tennessee entrepreneurs used KFC's money to built
private prisons around the U.S and beyond to imprisoned people of color? (Read
Christian Parenti's book; LockDown America).

Largest Private prisons such as Corrections Corporation of America and
Wackenhut Corrections earn capitalized investment at $3.5 billion annually.
What do you think about Tommy Hilfiger? Don't you know that prison labor exists
at various penitentiaries across America? The inmates manufacture denim jeans
and shirts for the market, while inmates earn .25 per hour. It's a form of
neo-slavery! Tommy clearly demonstrates how the disease of racism still exists
by holding one race superior over another. America is all about corporate
profit! The rich get richer while communities of color get terrorized with
simplistic idealogies. The only chance we as Africans is education to the
maximum to build our motherland Africa!
    However, thanks for alerting fellow Africans about such racist statement
made by Tommy Hilfiger. Until blind-folded African leaders can virtually refute
the white-man's simplistic philosophies that tend to disrupt socio-economic and
political arrangements, let's stand tall to make a change through moral means
by protecting our well-being for the next generation.

Alex Redd
Madison, WI