AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:29:30 -0600
Queen Visits Jamaica
By PAISLEY DODDS
Associated Press Writer

February 18, 2002, 5:49 PM EST

KINGSTON, Jamaica -- Queen Elizabeth II arrived Monday on a visit to
Jamaica, where she remains ceremonial monarch but citizens are increasingly
questioning their centuries-old ties to the crown.

She was met on a red carpet at Kingston's international airport by Prime
Minister P.J. Patterson and Gov. Gen. Howard Cooke, the Jamaican who
performs the largely symbolic role of representing the queen here.

Cannons fired the 21-gun salute reserved for heads of state, and then a
military band played Jamaica's national anthem as the queen inspected
members of an honor guard in scarlet dress uniforms.

The 75-year-old monarch, who is accompanied by her husband, Prince Philip,
is on a journey that will also include visits to the former colonies of
Canada and Australia.

The visit follows the death of her sister Princess Margaret, whose funeral
was Friday.

During the three-day visit here, the queen likely will hear from all sides
in the discussion over Jamaica's links to the crown. Many consider the
symbolic ties an outdated colonial hangover.

Patterson no longer wants Jamaican legislators to swear an oath of
allegiance to Elizabeth when they are sworn into Parliament, which the queen
is to address Tuesday.

"I cannot think of anyone who does not feel a sense of discomfort at being
obliged to swear allegiance to a foreign monarch," he said last year in
proposing a constitutional amendment.

Other Jamaicans remain loyal to the crown. "I think we should try and
maintain as close a relationship as possible with England," said Rohan
Burnett, a 32-year-old security guard. "It's our mother country."

A similar sentiment came Friday from a World War I veteran waiting to meet
the queen at National Heroes Park, where famous Jamaicans are buried,
including some executed by the British for an 1865 insurrection.

Eugent Clarke, 107, said: "I feel very proud to see her because she is from
England, and England is my mother country."

Clarke got to shake the monarch's hand briefly Monday, after she touched a
wreath at a memorial honoring war victims. A rain shower began as the queen
arrived, forcing many of the veterans to plop brightly colored handkerchiefs
or bags on their heads. The queen stayed only about 10 minutes without
greeting hundreds who stood in the rain to see her.

Jamaica's tourism-dependent economy has suffered as the country has become
one of the most dangerous islands in the Caribbean, plagued by one of the
highest murder rates and crushing poverty.

Othniel Falcolner, a 17-year-old student disfigured by a scar from forehead
to chin from a razor fight in his high-crime east Kingston neighborhood,
said he couldn't wait to see the queen.

"I want her to take me back to England," he said. "There are bad people here
and everything is corrupt. I want to leave."

Annmarie Gray, 27, also held out hope that the royal visit somehow would
improve life in Jamaica: "It's nice to see her one more time here. But I
would like to know what she's doing for us," she said. "I don't see anything
that Britain is doing for Jamaica"
Copyright © 2002, The Associated Press