AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"AAM (African Association of Madison)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:05:21 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Whatever your views of her politics, the woman has achieved a great
deal. The fact that an American president wants a black woman as our
Secretary of State is an amazing step forward. We should, as black
people, be proud of her. What are our criticisms demonstrating to our
young black women? "Go as far as you can, but, believe in what I think
you should believe in." Or, how about, "Go as far as you can, achieve
all that you can, but, don't go there!" I had an interesting
conversation this morning with someone who explained why "Democrats"
don't want her in that position--because she's a hawk. Well, in my
humble opinion, no one handed her any of the positions she has attained.
She fought for them. And won. Doves are prey.  We should all be outraged
that this Caucasian male thought it acceptable to refer to this woman in
those terms over the airwaves.

Sly defends 'Aunt Jemima' comment
11:16 pm 11/18/04
Patricia Simms Wisconsin State Journal

An unrepentant Sly explained why he called the nominee to be secretary
of state, Condoleezza Rice, an "Aunt Jemima" and outgoing Secretary of
State Colin Powell an "Uncle Tom" on the radio Wednesday.

Sly, the on-air name for John Sylvester, told WTDY-AM (1670) morning
show listeners that Rice, who is black, bought her way into the White
House with obedience to President Bush.

"I'm not apologizing for what I said," Sylvester said Thursday in an
interview. "I stand by it.

"I was aiming that directly at a black person that is letting himself
(and herself) be used by an administration that has been extremely
hostile to minorities," he said.

"Being subservient and being a black role model are two different
things. I think (Rice) has not only been bad for the country and for
national security, but I think she's been a bad black role model.

"I don't think being subservient to white people and not blowing the
whistle on their misdoings is a good role model at all."

Sylvester said his comments were not a ratings ploy. "People know who I
am. I don't need to get attention."

Response was negative, from Wisconsin Democratic U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold
to Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and the Urban League of Greater
Madison. Sylvester has been intensely supportive of Feingold and
Wisconsin Democrats in general.

The comments came in the wake of conservative Milwaukee talker Mark
Belling's five- day suspension from WISN-AM (1130) for using the word
"wetback," a derogatory term for illegal Mexican immigrants, on his Oct.
27 show.

"While it is not my intention to comment on every extremely
inappropriate remark made in our society," Feingold said in a statement
today, "given the proximity to the unfortunate comments made by another
member of the media, I feel it is necessary to completely reject and
repudiate these recent comments."

Cieslewicz said he didn't hear the broadcast but understood that
Sylvester's comment were racially insensitive. "Our society is not well
served by a coarsening of political discussion," the mayor said, "and
comments with negative racial overtones are even more troubling."

The Urban League said it was deeply disturbed. "Such slurs based on
racial and ethnic stereotypes have no place in the 21st century," said
its statement. "We call upon WTDY and John Sylvester to apologize for
using the basest form of racial derision to highlight a political
viewpoint."

Sylvester, who is also program director, said he would not take himself
off the air nor would station owners, the Mid- West Family Broadcast
Group. General Manager Tom Walker did not return phone calls Thursday.

Sylvester said the issue was being stirred by Milwaukee talk show host
Charlie Sykes. "I didn't think anything about it," he said. "I think
I've even said it before. Anybody who knows me knows I'm not a racist."

"I did call her the Aunt Jemima of the administration because I think
not only have they used her race as a trophy, but I think her price of
admission to the White House has been complete obedience to the white
power structure in the White House," Sylvester said. "(And) I called
(Powell) Uncle Tom. Frankly I think they bought his silence."

Contact Patricia Simms at [log in to unmask] or 252-6131.