From:
Marcy Thorner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:32:06 EST

Hi!  Got quite a lot of response on the ricotta questions.

First, let me mention that I've been functioning lo these many years under
the assumption that vinegar can be a problem.  I've since been pointed to the
gfliving article which addressed the survival of glutens in the distillation
process.  I haven't yet received the requested reprint, but that may answer
the question conclusively as well.

In the meantime, below are the brands mentioned to me as being gf. Several
people mentioned that they use Sorrento and Frigo "all the time" without
difficulties.  In addition, I've listed below the possible substitutes for
ricotta in lasagne.

Many of the brands mentioned are not available in my area; I believe that
with dairy products perhaps more than other, less perishable items, many are
distributed in limited regional areas.

Thanks to everyone!

Marcy in MD

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-dairy.html">Click here:
  GF Dairy Products</A> (this is Abigail Neuman's site; lists lots of other
  stuff too)
Biagio
Cabots (all products gf as of a year ago; modified food starch is from corn)
Callabro
Frigo 4
Gardenia
Giant Food Brand (dtd July 20, 00)
Kraft/Polly-O 4 (Polly-O mozzerella is also GF) (Kraft gf list, 8/00)
Salerno (available in Canada)
Sargento
Sorrento (suggested rechecking since info was old) 4
Stella

Several people suggested using cottage cheese, possibly whirled in the
blender as a substitute; Dean Foods dry curd cottate cheese (UPC 41900 03601)
is gf

One suggested making your own (Italian cookbooks may have recipes); another
suggested checking local Italian delis who make their own the old-fashioned
way (without vinegar)

A combination (amounts not given) of cream cheese, small curd cottage cheese
and sour cream as a substitute; someone else proposed a combo of cottage
cheese & cream cheese listed on the back of some lasagne noodle packages

Substitute yogurt cheese -- made by draining yogurt overnight in the fridge
(Nancy G., if you have a technique or recipe for this, would you post it,
please? Might be helpful to many)