From:
Sally R. Hackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:06:04 EST

Thanks to one very diligent listmate - it looks like Halls' are Not GF!!!!!

Good Morning Sally, I did one more check with the Hall's people (they
were very cordial and helpful) with regards to Hall's sugar free
lozenges.  The young  lady I spoke to reinforced the information I
passed on to you  yesterday.  She added one more item to the mix when it
came to sugar  free Halls ...  the sugar substitute in Halls sugar free
can come  from varying sources now.  It is either from ISOMALT,
ASPARTAME, or  ISOBUTYL.  These three ingredients can vary from
manufacturer to  manufacturer.  They can be from corn sources one month
and then from  wheat the next.  The Hall's people do not know which
source the  substitute comes from since they buy it from independent
vendors depending on price and supply. She was very cordial and
apologized  for not being able to have a more affirmative answer for me.
Even  though it looks like Halls are off my list, it seems the company
has  a very positive attitude towards customer inquiries.
        (Warner Lambert 1-800-223-0182)

        One more note if you have time.  I subscribe to the Gluten Free Drug
  Database ... and it seems that all Robitussin Cough Drops listed  `
(Menthol Eucalyptus, Honey lemon, Natural Herbal, Cherry, sugar free  Cherry,
liquid center, squares) are GF.  Please note that Vicks cough
drops and lozenges are NOT GF.
        (Whitehall laboratories-1-800-322-3129)

Sally Hackett,  Raleigh NC