From:
Terence Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 12:31:49 -0500

My daughter, 17 months, exhibited classic signs of CD including weight
loss, distended stomach, loose bowel movements, and apathy.  We had had
blood tests done which came back as strong positives. We immediately put
her on a Gluten-free diet and were amazed at the immediate response.  She
gained 2.5 lbs in three weeks, her stomach returned to normal, her bowel
movements have been somewhat more regular and her behavior has improved
immeasurably.

We recently visited a GI who advised us to put our daughter back on a
Gluten diet and have a biopsy performed for complete confirmation.
While my wife and I would like to know for sure whether she has this
disease, we are more concerned about putting her back on Gluten at such
a young age.  We are worried that if she has CD and we put her back on
the G luten she will not be getting the appropriate nutrients to ensure
healthy growth, which is much more critical at her age. Having witnessed
the tremendous change in her behavior we are very concerned about the
long term implications of putting her back on gluten at such a young
age.

If we decide to do the biopsy we would much rather wait until she is older
(eg 5 or 6) and be able to discuss the symptoms with her than to put her
back on gluten now and not know what pain or other discomforts she is
facing.

Is there anyone else out there with similar experience or anyone with
recommendations? We have read most of the posts on this listserver and
literature in other forums and they have raised as many questions as they
have provided answers.

Terry

PS.  I am also an Irish immigrant and I understand that the prevalence
of CD is much greater in Ireland than many other countries; however, t
here has been no diagnosed cases of CD within my direct family line.
Unfortunately there were very few of my family that were even screened
for the disease.