From:
Karen A. Van Dahlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 08:32:07 -0800

Hi all,

    A couple of months ago I posted a query to the list about elevated liver
enzymes. Well, I've had an ultra-sound done and it indicates a fatty liver.
According to the doctor this can be caused by diabetes, (which I don't
have), obesity, parenteral feeding (hypernutrition), malnutrition, and what
I found interesting from the celiac viewpoint, lack of protein in the diet
and it is also quite common after a small bowel resection or intestinal
bypass.

    So, the doc said to make sure I got more protein and less carbs in my
diet and I'm also to supplement with choline and l-carnitine. I've aso been
diagnosed recently with restless legs syndrome, (love them syndromes!), and
the neurologist told me to eat plenty of protein and make sure I get my fats
and oils and go easy on the carbs. I go back in February to get my enzymes
rechecked.

    Apparently even though I'm big and strong and "healthy" looking, I'm
malnourished. Ha!

    Just some food for thought, and I'd also like to hear from any of you
out there with fatty liver.

Karen