From:
JSchroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:08:18 -0800

Since so many people have written to me asking this question, I figured
I would send a summary.  The doctor I went to who discovered my state of
bone loss did a scan with a neat machine which showed the bone
immediately on a computer screen.  They then compare the density with
others in your age bracket (my age bracket was 30 even though I am only
22).  They discovered my bone mass, all though thankfully not
osteoporisis stage, was dangerously close.

The doctor then advised me, since I am so young, to take 1000 mg of
Calcium supplement and also a multivitamin with sufficient Vitamin D.  I
also must do some weight-bearing exercise and she told me that the
stairmaster and speed walking on an incline both count as weight bearing.
She also advised me to lift light weights with my arms.  This should
help me a lot.  Of course, she advised me to eat a high-calcium diet,
but since I can't eat any dairy that will be more challenging.

There are prescription Calcium supplements she could prescribe,
especially if I were currently not menstruating, but since I am young
and seem to be getting healthier by the day she thought it wouldn't be
necessary.

Hope all of you are taking care of yourselves!

Joanna Pass