Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:45:39 -0700

I had a lot of replies to my post.  Here is a summary of what was sent.

A couple people suggested specific brands of rice flour.

Ener-G Foods Rice Flour (2)
and
Authentic Foods Rice Flour (2)

all four people notice a change in quality of baking when they switched.

The rest of the people gave hints as to what I could do to help the
situation.

- Use more potato starch and tapioca starch when using brown rice flour.

- try sweet rice flour

- use some buckwheat flour

- use cornstarch in place of all the flour in cake recipes and some
cookie recipes too..

- Use Garfava flour (from Authentic foods is one source (
www.authenticfoods.com ).  It isn't gritty like rice flour.  Authentic
also has a baking and pancake mix which is garfava based.

- Use sweet rice flour in Bette Hagman's mix.  Also some applesaous acts
as a binder and it adds moisture to the recipe.

- Let the cookie dough (especially sugar cookies) sit in the fridge for
an extra day so the liquid can absorb into the flour.

- Two people said to get a flour mill and grind my own flour.

-  In muffins use cream cheese or sour cream if our can tolerate dairy.
It gives a moister texture.

- Use oriental rice flour, it isn't grainy.

- In muffins:  add an extra egg white and use Bette Hagman's GF Gourmet
mix.

- use 1/2 rice flour and 1/2 bean flour as in Bette Hagman's newest
book.  Makes good brownies and cake.

- Use flour mixes with greater quantities of other GF flours (garfava,
potato starch, etc) (two people)

- Heat the Liquids up to hot, except the eggs and add to the rice
flour.  Allow to cool and continue recipe as directed.

Well that is all I was given folks.  A long list.  I hope it helps some
one else too.

--
From,

Christy Moen