Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 13:11:52 -0700
From:
Gina Spencer <[log in to unmask]>

Hi List,

This is my first message to you since I joined the List so I am a bit
nervous.  I'm very glad to be here.  I feel support and connection for
the first time since diagnosed in Feb. 1998.  My doctor diagnosed Celiac
Disease after having me go on an elimination diet for 2 years.  He
simply handed me a two page list titled "Foods To Avoid on The Gluten
Free Diet" and sent me off on my way.  At least he had enough awareness
to make the diagnosis though.

My dilemma is that occasionally (a lot more often than I would like),
gluten/gliadin sneaks into my diet as I am still learning how to eat
"gluten free".  I wonder if anyone has any coping strategies for the
turbulent roller coast ride as the poison runs it's coarse through our
body.  I would also be interested if you would choose to share your
stories of symptoms of a typical "attack", and what it's like for you.

A typical "attack" for me can start with dry mouth.  Then I will start
to have "hazy thinking", and memory problems sometimes followed by
thoughts of tragedy of a family member or someone I care about.  Usually
diarrhea comes a few days after that and is accompanied by severe
intestinal cramping while having a bowel-movement to the point that I am
sweating, and have tears running down my cheeks.  By now I am sure that
I am having symptoms of a gluten attack.  I need to go back and usually
I am successful at tracing where the gluten came in.  I am almost always
guaranteed a "hangover" type headache for the grand finale which lasts
for at least a day, and sometimes carries over to a second day.  I also
get heart palpitations possibly related to an electrolyte imbalance.  I
have a rare heart condition called W.P.W. or Wolfe-Parkinson-White.
This is an alternate electrical pathway.  I also have Mitral Valve
Prolapse.

Appreciate all responses and will summarize.  Also, if anyone knows if
the 9th Annual International Symposium on Celiac Disease to be held in
Baltimore, MD in August is for the general public, or just for Medical
Professionals and if it is for the general public, where to register?  I
am seriously considering attending.

Gina
San Diego, CA