From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 01:10:27 EST

'Ellen Eagan' wrote:
: <snip>
: While eating wheat,
: but not gluten, free products had been overtly tolerated, I fear
: continuing doing so if it is causing damage at the cellular level. Could
: any of the antibody tests that I've been hearind about (anti-gliadin,
: anti-endomysial) help to make the differential diagnosis? I would
: appreciate any input.

    I actually don't know the answer to this, but it brought a
related question to my mind.  Perhaps someone else can shed light
both on Ellen's question and on mine.

    What I'd like to know is whether it is known for someone
to be both celiac *and* allergic to wheat?  By "allergy" I am
referring to a strong histamine response.  I beginning to wonder
whether this might be the case for me.  I will swell up severely
all over my body within 20 minutes of ingesting even a crumb of
wheat or rye bread, but I can eat oats just fine.  I can also
eat barley just fine most of the time, but when it bothers me
it gives me fairly painful intestinal cramps.  Does it seem
possible that I could be a mild celiac with other assorted food
allergies that just happen to overlap some of a celiac's trouble
foods as well?

    I will ask my doctor about this the next time I go in to
see her.  As it is not her area of specialty, I'd appreciate
any insights from any of you which I might pass along to her.

                 Thanks,

                 Kirsten Klinghammer