Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:15:05 -0500
From:

I apologise for the first summary--it was a draft that my computer sent
before it was finished! Besides that sampling, I heard that we should
check the thyroid ("autoimmune thyroid disease, i.e., hypothyroidism"),
that it could be a problem there. Weight watchers, personal trainers,
baked corn chips (Guiltless Gourmet is the recommended brand or Baked
Tostitos), carrots dipped in salt, more vegetables and fruit in place of
chips, and drinking plenty of water were also recommended. Salt makes
you retain water, I was told, which could add to weight ("Salt
(including corn chips) forces you to add water to your system.  One
gallon of water (easy to add to your body) adds 7 pounds"). And don't
forget a good multi-vitamin with minerals.

All reported a 15-30 pound average weight gain, that this was "normal"
and may even slack off/right itself in time (anywhere from a few months
to a few years to "get used to the weight"). Some of you embrace your
craving and eat chips (as long as it's not causing obesity) and others
fight back (personal trainers, weight watchers, Dr. Atkins, or cold
turkey). Some experience high blood pressure, others haven't. Another
suggestion was air popped popcorn (funny: Tony used to crave popcorn and
eat it almost every day; now, since going gf, he hasn't eaten it once!
Also, he used to crunch ice almost non-stop but not anymore--weird).

Here's another suggestion: "Aileen Bennett, in her book *Coping with
Celiac: The Great Masquerader*, mentions that a salt craving can be a
sign of adrenal insufficiency. I have no idea whether this is right, but
it is something I plan to discuss with my doctor. . . . There are many
kinds of salt available at specialty shops: grey sea salt, fleurs de
sel, Maldon's sea salt, etc. They all taste a little different, and you
can use less and still satisfy that salty craving."

Food substitutes: "I love Hains mini popcorn cakes that are white
cheddar cheese flavor.  They have a lot less fat content in them but are
still salty.  I did find a substitute for Cheetos and it's called Little
Bear Crunchitos.  They have less fat than Cheetos, are gf and good. "
And "Go to gfcfdiet.com that is the diet I am on.  It is not just for
Autistic people." One more: "eat the rice crackers (Fantastic is the
brand) [this from Australia] with salsa.  No calories in salsa."

On exercising: "aerobics, especially running, should be a part of your
exercising.  Everyone I know who runs experiences a reduction in food
cravings."

A further note: "This is a survival adaptation. Most GF bread
subsititutes have a high glycemic index (causes an increase in the blood
sugar). This results in an increase in insulin levels as a result
causing the sugar to be converted to fat and stored. This increase can
be blunted by eating them with fats and proteins to slow down the
absorption rate of the calories."

Thanks to all. Your words, wisdom and experience were enlightening and
encouraging. Thank you for being here for us.

Bridget Fitzgerald & Tony Collins