From:
Lynn Rainwater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 21:42:09 -0500

Thanks to all the people who responded to my query for the online celiac
restaurant cards. Here are the three sites I was told about:

http://hometown.aol.com/zoeliak/index.htm
http://wapmatic.de/home/paus/
http://www.celiaki.se/utrikiska.html#anchor1056913

I also received a note from Jax Peters Lowell, as follows:

You will find restaurant cards in the back of my book, Against The
Grain.  Just make enough copies to leave with restaurant and hotels
managers, tour guides, etc. and go.  Bon voyage.  Jax Peters Lowell

And David Walland, whose name members of this list will also recognize
for his many helpful posts, provided the following:

My (coeliac) wife is Danish and we regularly go there on
"holiday" (we were there most of August just gone).  I'm
also fluent in Danish so if your member wants to contact me
on e-mail, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

A lot of e-mail programs don't support the special letters
which are used in Danish and Norwegian, so any written
material will have to be sent as an attached Word file.

Classical Norwegian is derived from Danish and as similar
to it as American is to English, so Danish written material
would be perfectly OK there.

We've never had problems in Restuarants in Denmark but of
course we speak the language.  Certainly a lot of
Scandinavians speak English so well that this MAY not be a
problem BUT remember that they may not actually understand
all the details, even when they think they do.  I'm a
fluent Danish speaker and yet I can sometimes lose the plot
and only discover that I have done so when I make a remark
so irrelevant that everyone suddenly realises that the last
few sentences have meant something distinctly different to
me than them.  They should be especially careful about
colloquialisms and remember that Danes learn English NOT
American ("homely" is a COMPLIMENT!!!!! - it means snug and
comfortable and so on in English and is a mistake the
majority of Danes will make around Americans, as this is
the nearest English word to translate "hyggeligt" one of
the nicer things to say about anything or anywhere in
Danish).

Here endeth the first lesson <grin> .

Regards,

David ( David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>)

I was able to find the information I needed to prepare restaurant cards
for Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. Hope the sites and book listed provide
the information for the other countries that people who contacted me
need.

Lynn Rainwater
San Antonio TX