From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:02:23 -0500

Four people responded to my post on Uncle Ben's labelling their plain
rices as gluten free. The post quoted first offers gf seasoned rices that
are available (although I haven't found them yet--still looking!), another
listmember also emailed Uncle Ben's website about their gf labels, while a
third was sad to see that one of their newer products contained wheat
[which was at least clearly stated on the label!]. A fourth listmember
expressed concern about the presence of yeast or other contaminants, and
has sent them an inquiry.

Yesterday, Uncle Ben's sent me a letter of thanks for my comment at their
website, and enclosed two 35 cent coupons for their products, and two
flyers of recipes for their plain rices! I made one of the recipes for
dinner, a mushroom pilaf, and it was very good.

Good luck and good health!

Bobbi in Baltimore

The posts:

Saw your email on Uncle Ben's rice. If your looking for a seasoned rice,
try Lipton's Season Rice - Salsa Style, Southwestern Chicken and Roasted

Chicken. Also, Skillet Rice - Salsa Style and Chicken Vegetable. Others
are Success - Enriched Precooked Natural Long Grain White Mix - Spanish
and Kettle Creations - Chicken N Onion w/Wild Rice.

Took these from CSA/USA, Inc. GF Products Food Listing.

Thanks for the info about Uncle Ben's.  I sent them an email also to
tell them how much of their rice I will be eating in the future as long
as their boxes are labeled gluten-free!!!

I followed up on a newer Uncle Ben's rice product this week - "Natural
Select" rice.  The name made it look good, but in the ingredient listing
on the back of the package they list soy/wheat gluten as an ingredient.  Darn!

<snip>your post reminds me that we used tor eact to Unlce Ben's
parboiled rice - I assumed it was some sort of contamination in the
enriching process. For example, I have read that yeast is often used to
enhance B vitamins - do think it is possible that U Bens rice is
contaminated through the enriched vitamins? (I know - I should ask
myself, but I am resigned to not eating it & just wanted to alert you to
the possibility - I only use brown rice anyway, but, were I CERTAIN
about UB, it might make a fun treat....

[2nd post from the same listmember:] thanks for the UB link - I went
ahead and asked if the vitamins might be contaminated with yeast or have
artificial flavors, colors or preservatives... we shall see!