From:
David & Crystal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:41:29 -0400

I am nowhere near approaching retirement age, but my mother is. She also has
fibromyalgia, debilitating osteoarthritis, and asthma. When it comes to the
point that she can no longer live alone, she will come to live with my
family and I. As long as it is feasible to take care of her even with the
addition of a home nursing aide or whatever, we will. I can't say she will
never have to go in a nursing home, but it will be after all that can be
done at home is no longer working. I don't mean to sound preachy. This is
the way it used to be and I don't understand this notion that our elderly
parents don't want to be a burden on us or that we don't want the burden.
But, please don't feel that you must explain your reasons, it is your
decision. As for myself, I see it as a privilege as well as a responsibility
to look after my mother when the time comes. Maybe more celiacs could look
into this kind of arrangement.

If you have read this far, another solution for people around a larger
population would be for the celiac support groups to take on the task of
organizing meals for local people in nursing homes or even just in the
hospital. It's amazing how many people will want to help. Now, here in a
very rural area, it's another story. It's hard since there aren't that many
diagnosed celiacs in the first place. Maybe if someone is diagnosed, the
long term care insurance or rich relatives or even Medicare (?) would pay
someone to cook and bring meals to your senior. At the very least, reimburse
them for the food expense.

And lastly, for the lady who was concerned that her mil would only eat the
dessert. My suggestion is to make the healthiest desserts possible, gf of
course. Blueberry crisp, sweet potato pies, things like that as opposed to
chocolate covered candy bars. I know the sugar isn't good for her, but if
it's the only thing she may eat and you are not able to be around to
monitor, it may be your best bet.

Just my .02
~Crystal in ME