From:
Carol Castellano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 14:28:39 EDT

For those of you who have CD and are lactose intolerant, I recently called
1-800-LACTAID (522-8343), regarding the gluten-free status of Lactaid
products.

I specifically asked about LACTAID 90% Lactose Reduced Ice Cream.
Unfortunately, the ice cream is NOT gf.  I also received a letter from McNeil
(manufacturer) that states:

"In reference to your inquiry concerning the gluten content in our products,
I have listed below the products which have been tested and do not contain
detectable levels of gluten.

Children's Motrin Oral Suspension
Children's Tylenol Chewable Fruit Burst Flavor Taablets
Children's Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom Plus Cough Chewable Tablets
Children's Tylenol Suspension Grape Flavored Liquid
Extra Strength Tylenol Caplets  Extra Strength Tylenol Caplets
Extra Strength Tylenol Liquid
Extra Strenth Tylenol PM Gelcaps
Imodium AD Caplets
Infants' Tylenol Cherry Suspension Drops
Lactaid Original Strength Caplets
Lactaid Ultra Caplets
Maximum Strength Tylenol Allergy Sinus Caplets
Motrin IB Tablets
Motrin IB Caplets
Multi-Symptom Tylenol Cold Tablets
Sesame Street Complete Vitamins and Minerals
Tylenol Arthritis Extended Relief Caplets

For the remainder of McNeil's products:

Glutens are naturally-occurring proteins found in grains such as wheat, rye,
barley and oats, but are not found in corn.  The source of starch in this
formulation is corn.  Other inactive ingredients may be deried from a source
other than corn.

We are not aware of published reports associating the use of our products
according to package label directions with a worsening of symptoms in
patients with celiac disease."

McNeil didn't specifically mention Lactaid Milk in their letter, but when I
asked about it, they told me it is gf.  Just for your information, I've been
drinking it without a problem.

Carol
Mahopac, NY