From:
Eugene Khayutin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:58:19 -0500
Carl,

The answer to the first part of your question is no.  You can not use DSL
without networking.  You do need a minimum of two network cards and a hub or
three network cards, no HUB.  With most DSL service providers, even those who
are using PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) you can connect two computers with two
unique IP addresses.   Although it would be a good idea to call your provider
first and make sure that you do not violate their Service Agreement.

The better choice in my opinion would be to use some kind of a proxy server
(such as, Windows Internet connection sharing, WinGate, etc.), or a router that
can do NAT (Network Address Translation).  In this case you formally have just
one connection to the Internet and it is not up to your provider to limit what
you can or cannot do inside of your private network.

It is not so difficult and scary to set up as it might look, but it is difficult
to give you a more detailed advice, as you did not mentioned any details about
your hardware, including a device that connects you to the Internet, nor the
operating systems that you use.

The answer to the second part of your question is yes, but why would you want to
go with more expensive and complicated solution. Also as a matter of terminology
as soon as you connect at least two devices through their network interfaces,
which is the case when you connect your computer to the DSL modem, you already
have a 'Network'...

Eugene Khayutin

Carl Barnhart wrote:

> If I have DSL can I connect more than one computer at once without networking
> them? I'm pretty sure I can't, so moving along to the next question. If I
> want to use DSL from another computer in the house can I shut off the one
> thats currently using it, and connect from another phone jack with the
> opropriate parts(DSL modem, filter, ethernet card, etc)???
>
> Carl Barnhart
>
>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                     http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html