C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:13:39 EST
Hi Yvonne,

I'm not concentrating well this morning at all, so I'll make this short.  I'm
in so much pain and slept so lightly last night that I just can't seem to get
my thoughts together.

I can't speak for anyone else, but you certainly have not offended me.  I
read all that you shared about Joseph, and was touched to have the
opportunity.

Before I say anything else, perhaps I should apologize -- sans excuse -- for
having shortchanged the Canadian media.

It seems to me that a discussion about right-to-life/death with the
disability factor amongst those in the disability community is a different
thing from the same topic of discussion in the non disabled world.  We are
us, and they are uh...well, not.

Parents of minor children have to do the best job they can in making
decisions for their children, and their rights should be respected as well.

Non disabled people (I'm not talking about the parents) don't seem to do an
accurate job when it comes to assessing the disabled person's quality of
life.  They don't seem to have the same regard for us that we have for
ourselves.

All in all, I don't think it's a good idea for Robert Latimer's act to be
portrayed as a merciful one.  Even if that's what he intended, the public
won't get the whole picture.  It will just add fuel to some very bad
misconceptions that already exist.

Betty