C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
I. S. Margolis
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 02:44:23 -0400
Joanne dear,

In my not humble opinion you're missing Kyle's point.  He's made his.
I'll make mine.

Adults with CP are not children with CP.  Children's conditions cannot
extrapolate our adult experiences.  We cannot be "fixed" and made
"better."  As we age we often come to doubt our ability to meet
responsibilities as parents, spouses, wage earners, community activists,
etc.  We encounter too much strain and pain as we cope with the normally
abnormal demands of modern life.  We contend with the possibility that
our bodies will break down, not allow us to accomplish our goals and
obligations.  We develop gallows humor, toughness, and keen intelligence
to make our way.  Not everybody gets this, not everybody needs to, not
everybody can.

Kyle and Ken haven't been having all great days lately.  Bobby's feeling
the crunch.  Mag and Carla ouch.  Deri's having a heap.  Most know my
stuff.  While competent adults, our CP makes for day to day uncertainty.
No contraception shields us now.

I interpret Kyle's "disgust" had nothing to do with your sticking up for
kids--for which, after all, Kyle, Ken, and most parents, including quite
obviously yourself, devote much.  He responded to your misconception of
his banter.  He and Ken were engaging Friday at the office stress relief
and chatter.

You say you have your own disabilities.  Perhaps we would know you
better if you discuss them.  You may have been less misunderstood had
you directly revealed your impressions of others reactions to your
having seven children.  My tease to your post suggested you more
acknowledge your responsibility in the acts than putting the thrust on
your husband.  Perhaps others were being humorous.

Sincerely,

Steve