C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gordon Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:40:11 +1300
Hi Carla - Wouldnt this promote disabled to be vegetables ?
sit there watching TV all day - I used to be like that - didnt enjoy it one bit...

Now I might watch 2-3 hours a week..

Gopher

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/20/00 05:41 >>>
Hi,

  How many of you have satellite dishes. I've had one for over a year, and
the program offerings are great. The various learning channels are the ones
we watch the most, and of course we enjoy the several movie channels. I
wonder how the fees for satellite systems compare to cable, in terms of
offerings for dollar value.  Does your State/Province offer subsidy for
television access - viewing it as a teaching/therapeutic aid, for example. I
know people on fixed incomes have a difficult time affording advanced
access, but what if the government (health ministries) gave service
providers (cable or satellite) incentives to provide reduced rates for the
disabled/shut-in consumer? Especially, with the elderly, I can see this as
saving the government money in the long run. Lots of seniors are lonely and
can't afford more than a 3-5 channel offering. So, what do they do? They
make 911 calls, just to chat with someone :) A police officer told me this.
Also, internet service providers, at least where I live, offer reduced rates
to disabled/shut-ins and seniors. Is that available where you are? If not,
perhaps a well placed letter to the editor, exploring the concept might
inspire the "wheels" to look at doing something like this in your
State/Province.

Cheers!

Carla