C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:34:10 -0300
Hi,

  I've decided that sleeping is a good thing. It allows the body to
"rebuild" itself and for us aging cp'ers, that's important. It's not
uncommon for me, after an afternoon in Martha Stewart mode, to have a
lengthy nap. Years ago (10-15) I used to feel guilty about napping after
work, but now I don't. Why bother worrying about it.  I had a 3 hour nap
today, after baking a pie (apple - yums!), a loaf of bread and prepping a
roast for slow cooking (want the recipe, anyone?).  I normally rise at 8-9am
and go to bed at midnight or 1am.

 We must be mindful of the fact that our bodies do not work the same as the
"able-bodied". Accepting that we need more rest will do much to take the
pressure off ourselves, and realize that we can't be expected to function
the same way at 40-50 as we did at 18. It's not possible.

  Also, re: depression. Thankfully, I've never been troubled with it. I
think it's possible that the fatigue factor associated with cerebral palsy
as a neurological "thing" that affects mobility, co-ordination, etc. lends
itself to cycles of depression. Feeling fatigued makes us less able to
function, and being less able to function may make us depressed. To counter
fatigue, some of you might consider magnesium supplement, either straight
magnesium tablets (aids in controlling arrthymia, too), or calcium-magnesium
tablets. Both are found at your drug store or health food store.

  For the most part, I suspect depression is situational and may have
nothing to do with cerebral palsy at all. If it is determined that it's
related to living with cerebral palsy, than vitamin supplementing might not
be a bad idea.

  For sleep/calming effect, you might try Calms Forte (Hyland Homepathic
Remedies). I have been using this for years as a sleep aid instead of
prescription drugs that tend to leave one hung over and not feeling rested
at all. Not so, with Calms.

  Common sense with regard to diet may also allay some of the "depression"
issues some of you may be experiencing. After all, we are what we eat :) And
no, I'm not reaching for a chocolate, Mag!

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier