C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 16:18:13 -0400
I have to agree that becoming a teacher is too easy (and I am a teacher
myself!)  I often think about  how many people that I went to school
with who were barely pulling C's and going out drinking and smoking (and
God only knows what else!).  They were never pulled out of the program.
Millersville graduates way too many education majors and they all can't
get jobs.  Now I was a good student, with "extras" so I had no trouble,
especially since Millersville's elementary ed. program is well-known in
the surrounding area.  I think this whole idea of national certification
may up the ante a bit and weed out poor teachers as it catches on.  I am
thinking of looking into it myself.  I figure I love what I do and know
I am a very competent teacher so why shouldn't I have the added
credential?  All teachers have to take an intro. special ed. course and
should have a clue about cp...but a special ed. teacher better.  I
remember there was a whole section of the intro. course I tool on
physical disabilities.  Now, everyone in my class got some first hand
knowledge since I was in there, but even without that, they should have
an idea!

Linda