Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:12:56 -0500
Hi,

What you describe is what I experienced the first time I tried to network.
And, a lot of my problem was already discussed in the list. I was using
Linksys LNE 10 Ethernet adapter PCI Card connected to a 5 slot hub.
However, I was only networking two computers. It made no difference what
combinations I used in the hub. Sometimes it almost worked, sometimes it
didn't work and sometimes I thought it was working..but oh, so slowly.
However, I could never duplicate what almost worked and what didn't work.
Everything was inconsistent.

Linksys tech support was of no help except to say: Put the card in another
slot. What I learned is that the card must be using irq10. I moved the card
and couldn't get to irq 10. Apparently, my Dell is set up with the slots
for certain irq's.

Someone from the mail list started corresponding with me...giving me
suggestions on how to move cards to get the Linksys using irq10. Needless
to say, it was my sound card I had to move....which messed up my audio, etc.

But, I left the card on irq10 and was guided through troubleshooting both
cards (pinging machines, etc. etc.) The final result was my cards were ok,
but I had a failure in either the hub or the cable. I quit troubleshooting
at that time and returned the Linksys kit.

I then purchased new components which did not require a certain irq...and
everything worked just fine.

If your problem is the irq10 one, it might be a good idea to try another
system....just my experience. If that's not it, maybe you do have a bad hub
or cable.

Sue Na

At 09:54 PM 11/26/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm trying to connect 2 PC's in a simple home Windows98 network as follows.
>
>System 1 on Abit BH6 MB:
>
>Intel Etherexpress Pro/10+ (PNP Enabled) ISA Card
>Also:  In PCI Slot 4 is a Lucent Win Modem
>and in slot 2 is a Soundblaster Live card
>also an Nvidia TNT card in the AGP slot.
>Cat5 Patch cable to a 5 port Linksys Hub
>
>System 2 on an Abit Be6-II MB:
>
>Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet adapter PCI Card
>also connected to the HUB via CAT 5 cable
>This computer has no internet connection or modem at this time.
>
>Although I have tried numerous combinations of protocols (including
>enabling and disabling the dial up adapter on system 1), what I was aiming
>for was just to set up both computers with the NETBEUI protocol bound to
>the ethernet cards.
>

>Both computers show no hardware conflicts in device manager.
>
>Both computers can see themselves in Network Neighborhood.  However, it
>takes a long time for System 1 to see itself and usually only after
>getting messages saying that it was unable to connect to the network (on
>the first try after reboot).
>
>System 2 has occasionally seen System 1 but it was inaccesable.  System 1
>will then dissapear after it manages to show up in its own network
>neighborhood.
>
>This is peculiar.  The hub light for system 2 acts as it should.  For the
>most part it is off but flashes periodically and when obvious attempts to
>access the network are made.  The hub light for the System 1 line,
>however, is always lit.  Ocassionally it will blink off for millisecond
>periods but the light remains stuck on.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve this network
>issue?  Could it be a hardware conflict not visible in device manager?
>
>Thanks very much for any h
>elp,
>
>Bill Nussbaumer
>
>         The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>        tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>              Visit our web site to signup: http://nospin.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html