From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:00:16 -0500
> I have a friend who has an older Packard Bell Multimedia 601, Pentium 166
> with MMX. It has a Packard Bell BIOS v.1.23 and also lists Award
> plug + play
> 1.0. She is running Windows 98 SE. In "My computer" it said it
> only had 16 MB
> of RAM. The mother board has 2 168 Pin DIMM slots. She bought 2 Kingston
> Value RAM 32MB PC100 168 pin DIMM SDRAM chips. I removed her chip and put
> these two in the slots. When I booted it up it still says it has 16 MB of
> RAM. I could not see any place in the CMOS settings to tell it the correct
> amount. The computer runs but it doesn't seem any faster and seems like it
> really is only using 16 MB of RAM. Any ideas of why this occurs and how to
> correct it would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

     What chipset does it use? This is a very common problem for Socket 7
boards, PC100 memory either doesn't work or reports as the incorrect size. I
know of no solution for the problem except buying PC66 ram. The problem
should not affect super socket 7 boards though, they were designed with
PC100 ram in mind. TTYL

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html