From:
Peter Darrach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:15:50 -0500
Frank:

If I remember correctly, IDE cables should be no longer than 18 inches.
Having twice encountered cable connection problems because the "standard"
cable seemed too short with the connectors in their "normal" position, I
found a simple solution. Simply remove the middle connector and place it in
a position where both the HD and CD can be plugged in. The only difficult
part was forcing the 40 mating pins on the connector back onto the cable. My
vise did the job. You have nothing to lose but one cable if things go
astray.

Peter Darrach