From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:18:43 -0800
Dennis,

I've built a few machines with these AMR modems.  According to the operating
system the throughput on them is fantastic.  But, we all know that the OS
reporting on throughput is usually DTE, or translation speed between the
modem and the COM port.  But, I have not experience any problems with them.

Typically, the AMR costs me between $7 and $10 extra on these motherboards.
IMHO, they work just as well or better than a PCI Winmodem.  Nothing,
repeat, NOTHING works better than a hardware modem, and an external modem is
even better.  If you are concerned about throughput, the external modem is
the way to go, but it is much more expensive.  If you are more concerned
about price than performance, then the AMR or Winmodem will work fine.

Kyle Elmblade