From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 15:10:24 -0800
Hello,

It occurred to me that there is some question about whether Hunter-Gatherers (in
Paleo times) ate lettuce, celery or other foods that we now call "salad" and
"vegetables".

Generally, it does not occur to us to even attempt to eat carpeting, sheet-rock,
gravel or asphalt.   Similarly, I'm not sure it would even occur to H-Gs to even
try to eat leaves or stems of plants - especially since the first such attempts
would indicate that these did not sustain life.

It would seem to me that these foods are only eaten (aside from herbal medicine)
by agriculturists, and even then only very recently.   About 20 years ago, I
toured throughout Europe, and very rarely encountered any lettuce, celery,
broccoli or any other vegetable matter other than tubers and legumes....

--
Cheers,

Ken